Friday, March 13, 2009

Give Me the Bible

I just finished the book The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs (Kayla, I saw it one time when you had it and then when I was at the Book Rack over Christmas break I was able to get it on store credit). If you haven't read it, I highly recommend that you do. It is a very interesting and compelling look at the Judeo-Christian traditions from the view of an agnostic man. That being said, I've decided that I need to read the Bible. I don't mean that in the sense that I need to read a little each day. I have felt for a long time that I need to read the scriptures of my faith in their entirety. I think it's a shame that there are books in the Bible that I have never even turned to in my Bible let alone read them. Today I sat down and planned out a schedule to read the entire Bible. Now, in case you didn't know, the Bible is a really big book. I decided that ten chapters per day was a fair amount considering the time I need for school, Seekers, and a little fun (not that reading the Bible isn't loads of fun). A few days will have different amounts (I decided twenty psalms would be about ten chapters and Revelation got split differently) because when I got the the end of the schedule I found a number of days that I couldn't resist. I have always had a strange thing with certain numbers (maybe more about that in another post). I am going to read the entire Bible in 111 days. I know it sounds like a long time and that's because it is a long time. The length of this undertaking will give me more time to absorb each section of scripture while leaving me with a light load each day so I don't get burned out. I'm going to try to posts updates about weird/interesting/funny/amazing things I find, but don't hold your breath since my blog track record is terrible. Well, that's all for now.

-Matt

1 comment:

Sallie said...

I think that's a great goal. Dad has read through the Bible many times but I seem to get bogged down in the O.T. Being a slow reader doesn't help, I'm sure. Today I started Year of Living Biblically--very interesting so far.