Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"Every New Beginning...

...comes from some other beginning's end. Yeah."

So says Semisonic anyway.

Well, I officially started my new internship on Sunday. We had church then went to lunch at T.G.I. Friday's with whichever youth group kids wanted to go. There were about 25 of us! Then we had a swim party that night to welcome the new 7th graders into the group. It was a lot of fun.

I think my old youth group (it still feels weird to call the kids at Hillcrest that) somehow knew that I had started my new job, because they all started texting, calling, and Facebooking me this weekend. I love them and miss them so much.

I'm beginning to realize how hard ministry can be when it comes to saying goodbye. The sad thing is, that's just the "nature of the beast". Even if I stay at one church for a long time, kids will pass through my youth group and on to college every year. Fortunately, I have found the only remedy I think there is to this: continuing in ministry. The new relationships that I have begun here have already helped to ease the pain of leaving. No matter how many goodbyes I have to say, there will always be more people waiting to be served, befriended, and loved.

And that is something to look forward to.

2 comments:

Sallie said...

Such a good post. You really have a heart for this ministry! God bless you in your new job.

Rachel said...

It's true. You are missed.
Good luck with your new internship! That youth group is lucky to have you!