Sunday, March 13, 2011

Muddled Minds and Marathons

I've just about decided to take the marathon training course next semester at ACU.

The teacher, Odies Wright, is a member and active volunteer with the youth at Hillcrest. I talked to him today at church just to ask a few questions about his marathon class. It went a little like this:

Me: "Hey Odies, how far would someone need to be able to run at the start of your marathon class?"
Odies: "Well, I have some who run pretty sporadically. I'd say most come in at a few miles or so. Why?"
Me: "Well, I was thinking about taking it."
Odies: "How far can you go?"
Me: "6 miles. I've been averaging about 13-16 miles per week."
Odies: "Oh you'd be great! I wish all my students started there."

After that conversation, I couldn't really convince myself not to take the class. I've really come to love running this semester, and I think I know why. I have been busier this semester than ever. I thought my schedule was going to be better this semester, but it hasn't quite turned out as I expected (as life tends to do). So the most peaceful times in my week are the times that I run. My running partner recently broke her foot, so I've been running alone for a little bit. I stopped listening to music while I run and spend the time thinking, praying, meditating, or just enjoying the rhythm of running. It has become a very centering time in a crazy life.

I think this has factored into my decision. Next semester looks to be much less busy, but I'm not betting on that again. I always find ways to fill my schedule back up. If I take this course, not only will I accomplish something pretty great, but I will automatically have time set aside for what has been a very important time for me personally and spiritually over the past year.

Now I just have to keep the running up over a crazy summer of interning!

4 comments:

Sallie said...

Sounds good! Glad you're enjoying running and looks like the class might be a perfect fit for you.

Kayla said...

I think you should go for it! In the past week, I've finally started to enjoy running rather than just counting the laps until I'm done. I'm still only up to a little over 2 miles, though. :)

G. HUBBARD said...

matt, youth today hit hard by real life daily questions need real answers from one they know ell, there when needed, talks with not at them our free SPREAD THE WORD TALK WITH THE LORD pogram inspires daily talks YM using our free blogposts as sermon/discussion topics free coool song lyrics g. hubbard p.o. box 2232 ponte vedra fl 32004 http://talkwiththelord.blogspot.com/

Sallie said...

That sounds good. I'll be glad to be your running partner when you come home for a visit. Going from 6 to 26 in a semester ought to be doable.
Dad