Sunday, August 29, 2010

Finding Sabbath

As always, school is off at a brisk jog. It isn't sprinting yet, but give it time. Over the past year I have become a big believer in the Sabbath. Not necessarily the Hebrew Sabbath, but just the practice of slowing down from time to time to remember and spend time with God.

Unfortunately I am an American...

We live in a culture that tells us, "If you're not busy, you're lazy."

The sad part is we buy it.

I bought it.

The things that occupy my time are good and all important to me. My time is stretched and pulled by my youth internship, Seekers, and school. That is why I am searching for Sabbath.

Since I cannot and will not drop any of these things that I love, I have to keep my eyes open to the opportunities to stop and rest. I still want to know God and He wants to know me. Finding the time to do that will be an adventure.

I am excited about all the blessings in store for this semester. I am working with a youth group that I love, I am in a drama ministry that has become my family, and I am learning so much about God and my work.

I just have to remember to slow down.

1 comment:

Sallie said...

Never stop in your quest for Sabbath. Times of rest in God are very important.